After Thanksgiving, I was turkeyed out. It had been 5 straight days of turkey meat for this family that eats vegetarian over 80% of the time. There was one last 1-pound bag of turkey in the fridge, but I really did not want to eat turkey again. So, I wanted to make a dish I could freeze to serve later. Back to my slow cooker for some turkey chili. This dish can also be made with turkey you froze after Thanksgiving and are finally ready to revisit.
I did taste it when I made it…I confess, not just a taste, I ate a small bowl… then into the freezer it went until we were ready to once again dig into some turkey. It came in handy during these hectic days, to be able to just pull it out, heat is up and …yum!
Turkey Chili in the Slow Cooker
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (note – when using canned goods, get organic whenever possible)
1 can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup chicken or turkey broth
2 14-oz cans of fire-roasted tomatoes, crushed
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp dried minced onion
1 Tbsp cumin
3 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 lb cooked turkey, shredded
Toppings: Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, pickled jalapeno and serrano peppers, diced red onion, hot pepper sauce, crackers
Place all ingredients (not the toppings) in the slow cooker and mix well.
Cook on high for 3 – 4 hours or low for 6 – 8 hours.
Serve with assorted toppings. Enjoy!
Serves 6 – 8
- Doru’s best slow cooker chili (chefdoru.wordpress.com)
- Day #24 – Leftover Turkey Recipe (sheslosingit.net)
- Slow Cooker: Hearty Turkey Quinoa Chili (inspireandindulge.wordpress.com)
- Turkey Fried Rice – Thanksgiving Leftovers #1 (andreasgardencooking.com)
- 3 Bean Turkey Chili and Cornbread (beatcancer2010.wordpress.com)
- Slow Cooker Sunday: Chili (littlelotusblossom.wordpress.com)
- Recipe for Spicy Slow Cooker Soup with Ground Turkey, Pinto Beans, Red Bell Pepper, and Green Chiles (kalynskitchen.com)