I honestly don’t think anything I make is more appreciated by my family than my granolas (especially the Passover granola, but you’ll have to wait for that one). I like to vary what is in the granola by what is available the freshest (fresh – granola – huh?). High quality fruits and nuts make a big difference in the quality of the granola. So, since I have some excellent Smit Orchards organic dried peaches that I brought back from San Diego and some really good raw almonds – we are having peach-almond granola. I also add raisins…if only I had more of those wonderful raisins of theirs….that would have been heaven!
The granola goes like lightening if I leave it available. So, I have started putting half the batch in the freezer to take out as a treat at a later date.
3 cups uncooked rolled oats
1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds (raw)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped almonds (or sliced)
1/2 cup wheat germ (optional)
1/2 cup oat bran
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey (local)
1 cup cold water
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried peaches (from Smit Orchards)
Preheat oven to 250F.
In a large bowl, combine the oats, coconut, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, almonds, oat bran and wheat germ (if you are using it).
In a small bowl, mix the oil, honey and water.
Pour over the oat mixture and mix in.
Spread out on 2 cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
Bake until toasted, about 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
While it cooks, chop the peaches.
Stir in the raisins and peaches. Let cool.
Store in tightly lidded containers in the refrigerator or freezer. Enjoy!
Makes about 2 quarts.
- Basic Granola Recipe (eightypercenthomemade.wordpress.com)
- Cook the Book: America’s Favorite Granola (youvegottotastethis.myrecipes.com)
- Healthy Granola (thehumblepalate.com)
- Granola- The good kind! (leonardva.wordpress.com)
- As You Like It: Homemade Granola (the-tasty-truth.com)
- Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Granola (emilyslittlehomestead.wordpress.com)
- Nectarine Almond Granola Bars (thiscountrygirlcooks.com)
- dark chocolate coconut granola. (frugalfoodiefamily.com)